The Video Sampler

4.21.2007

Protected by Law

April 21, 2007 Saturday 10:56 AM Protected by Law

Soft wrap in BBEdit makes files nicer
to look at when I open them in vim.

Help full CSS Ref

Collection of styled web forms
(I want to revise mine)

While I contemplate a webTech series I am reminded of common 
problems. Or more like misunderstandings.
Such as links don't always go to where they say they go....

<a href="pointsToSomePlace" > Tells you it goes somewhere else </a>

And the whole permissions unix thing when people can't
see their images on the page.

Even the save web page options... web page complete or just plain web page.

12:13 PM
Trying to fix this blogs template is driving me crazy.
I hate this issue. I'm going to have to start completely
over.

12:33 PM
And why the jello is my Just the Movies image not showing up?
It's not like I didn't want an image there.



 Just Movies Please

I'm going to have to edit the template.

...

"your feelings are not protected by law"

"well. I have low standards, so you have a girlfriend. I wouldn't say it qualifies in an official sense unless both of you agree that your relationship meets your personal standards for the term." (Daniel April 21, 2007)

Correlation Studies Criticism
I've heard it here and there. And especially been
sniffing the reekidness of it's usage in the liberal arts,
in the social sciences. And it's the same thing over and over
again.
Recipe? 
Take two sizable factors for which to survey.  Carry out all procedures
in accordance with top statical standards. What do you get?
Well, a correlation that is about as misleading as a map that
says the Earth is flat. Not to say all correlatin plots are
shadey. Just the ones that have factors so far removed from one
another that any correlation someone 'claims' can't possibly hold
validity. 
Gun violence and Video Game Violence?
Correlation? Sure why not (not that I discount more direct psycho 
studes on behavior exposure) but picking some trend data
and matchnig it to make a postivity correlation is 
a crime agaisn't humanity. 
If anything correlation plots should come with a full warning and
disclaimer about their hidencou potentail to fuel 'socail' debates.
Espeically the ones where someone is arguing 'cause and effect'


... thinking not done... 
[more on the topic someday]


8:41 PM
Privacy under attack, but does anybody care?
Eventually all write the paper on this subject... I've had
ideas about the whole thing since it's inception.
The part about, 
"Psychologists tell us boundaries are healthy, that it’s
 important to reveal yourself to friends, family and lovers
 in stages, at appropriate times."
Caught me a bit. Why do they say that?

More suprisingly,
"Carnegie Mellon privacy economist Alessandro Acquisti
has run a series of tests that reveal people will surrender
 personal information like Social Security numbers just to 
get their hands on a measly 50-cents-off coupon."

Welp, I guess, give America a tax break and take their privacy.

mmm I'm sensing a polical issue for my Gov Instituion course
....


Is There a Good Response to the "Nothing to Hide" Argument? (Daniel J. Solove)

The most common retort against privacy advocates -- by those in favor of ID checks, cameras, databases, data mining and other wholesale surveillance measures -- is this line: "If you aren't doing anything wrong, what do you have to hide?" " Some clever answers: "If I'm not doing anything wrong, then you have no cause to watch me." "Because the government gets to define what's wrong, and they keep changing the definition." "Because you might do something wrong with my information." My problem with quips like these -- as right as they are -- is that they accept the premise that privacy is about hiding a wrong. It's not. Privacy is an inherent human right, and a requirement for maintaining the human condition with dignity and respect."
.... Did anyone mention the possibility of making the government just as watched by everyone else by laying down a system by which anyone can check on anyone? And how would anyone get away with anything in that case? Sure, privacy would die. But so would pretty much all wrong doing.. given everyone is immediately accountable. Give up something, get something. The in between doesn't sound very favorable to me. So at least mentioning the extreme case might poke out more considerations. Paper on The Eternal Value of Privacy "We stop suddenly, momentarily afraid that our words might be taken out of context, then we laugh at our paranoia and go on. But our demeanor has changed, and our words are subtly altered." ... But maybe in a 'good' way. But the next is agreeable, "Too many wrongly characterize the debate as "security versus privacy." The real choice is liberty versus control." ... the watchers watch the watchers.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

So have you ever read The Transparent Society? The HSU library has a copy which I admitedly never finished. I think its a worthwhile concept to add to the discussion of privacy.

SPECIALS

Hate download time? Subscribe to the movies via Miro! And download at night while you sleep! Miro Video Player